Saturday, July 21, 2012

Dizzy people of the world, unite


    This time, I decided to address all those living with some kind or another of unbalance: vertigo, meiner’s disease, dizziness, inner ear problem…

Reach out.

Don’t suffer in silence.

 Don’t be a victim.

 Let nobody decide for you or suggest that your dizziness is some kind of an imaginative disease.

Trust your body and never forget that you are the one suffering.

I spent many sleepless nights wishing I had some disease that I can describe in a few words, some kind of a ‘normal’ disease

We don’t choose our diseases; we just try to live with them.

Do your researches, talk to the true people in your life and don‘t let the fake ones put you down.

It is going to be a long journey, be ready, adapt, and do not lose faith and know your health system.

The health system can be fine (of course, depending where you live or how good your insurance is) but still you need to push hard and to be loud.

Don’t forget, you are the one who is suffering, so don’t be intimidated by no busy, irritated nurse or no you-will-be-OK-in-a couple-of-weeks doctor.

You will have to be firm and stand up for yourself.

I was told by a triage nurse once: ‘I am dizzy too, take a number’.

In my book she was just some ignorant, overworked, and in the wrong business poor person.

I think that some health workers forget that the nature of their job is to deal with sick people and not to judge them.

Thou shalt not judge.

And speaking of judging, I would like to address those non dizzy people, please, when dealing with people suffering from any kind of dizziness, vertigo…

If you have nothing smart to say, please hold your peace, don’t make a bad situation worse.

And here  are some comments or questions and how people suffering from vertigo interpret them:

‘‘You don t look dizzy’’ means I don’t believe you

‘‘I have never heard of such a thing’’ means I am an ignorant, know-it-all and if I am not aware of something it, does not exit.

‘’It s just in you head’’ means you are going crazy and stop bothering me with your non sense.

‘’If I were you…’’well, it means that you are not me, and you won’t be…

May your day be free of any kind of dizziness, swaying, rocking…

No comments:

Post a Comment